Sunday, January 17, 2010

give a little

And finally, to round out a three-post day (morning, actually), I wonder aloud why it is that yesterday I read that the amount of US aid currently being sent to Haiti is about to exceed that of aid to anyone or anything else, ever. More than the tsunami and more than hurricane Katrina.  Please do not get me wrong.   I am all for that "helping fellow man" crap, but I first wonder how less aid was sent to the many millions more people displaced and fucked over in general, by the tsunami and how less aid was sent to our own fellow Americans in the wake of hurricane Katrina?  Just one of those little mysteries of life, I suppose.

And just for the record, two days ago I flew from the southern tip of the Mississippi River delta, all that way up to New Orleans, in a helicopter.  Can anyone remember what year Katrina struck without Googling the answer?  I'll tell you.  It was August 29, 2005.  They still have not yet fully recovered after 4 1/2 years.

No comments: