Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tree sap

So, I'm sitting in the sauna last night and I look at the wall next to my head and see a small dribble of sap coming out of on of the wooden slats and my mind wanders back to a few weeks ago when I was out in the middle of a swamp, doing some recon for hunting and while leaning against a tree, notice a small dribble of sap coming out of a crack in the tree.  The sauna, the swamp, the cracks and the sap, back and forth.  I'm the only one that uses the sauna on this ship. 

And I thought about ending up in a sauna, on a ship, off the coast of Colombia, and seeing something familiar from yet another place I hang out that nobody else visits and reflecting on how weird my life is, for the millionth time.  Growing up as middle-class, burnout, punk who didn't finish high school I never expected to end up taking a sauna off the coast of Colombia (unless it was as a drug mule), OR spending endless days in the remote woods and swamps of Upper Michigan and especially being at home and at peace, there.  And as for the sap?  Maybe we always subconsciously look for connections to home, wherever we are, but it was still a strange experience that has been on my mind all day.  That's it.

1 comment:

Fyremandoug said...

Dude when a Yooper says tree sap all I can think of is the Part about tree sap in the whiskey from Escanaba in da Moonlight....still you rockout,hunt,and write a wicked blog

Peace
Fd