Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Great White North

We've got a nice blizzard going, venison soaking in orange juice, teriyaki sauce, garlic, onions, cranberries and rosemary. Wine is cracked, LP's playing in the other room, singing to herself. PW and Mr. Bud are on their way here for dinner, vino and microbrews.

LP and I just returned from a very small town north of here, called Calumet. We drove up to a little store that specializes in copper stuff, knick-knacks and the like. We picked up a combination switch/outlet cover that PW's sister and boyfriend (boyfriend sounds wrong for someone whose over 40 dude-pop the question...) had made for us while I was at sea. It's a metal silhouette of a moose and pine trees and I'll pst a picture after we install it:) I think it looks pretty cool.

Right next door is the taffy shop. It's a store filled with barrels of taffy and old-fashioned candies, foods, fudge, candles, coffee, etc. LP loves to take a small basket and walk around the barrels picking out taffy. I like the coffee, especially on a day like this-windy and snowy. Oh, and we bought a huge chunk of fudge for dessert and a gift for my Father-in-Law's cabin, which we'll be at soon and man I can't wait-the place is like peace and relaxation in a bottle. Kind of like a fine Merlot...

Well, time to tidy up the kitchen, fill a glass of wine for PW and get ready to grill up about 15, 2 1/2" venison fillets.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always going to remember the instant frost bit knuckles for the smokie treat.

The Pirate said...

You should have joined me for the 3am smoke while stumbling around my yard, trying to find out what hit the house at the height of the blizzard. Never did find what it was and lost my smoke in the wind. Froze my ass off, too!

It's still howling up here on the hill at midnite...