Sunday, June 21, 2009

Normalcy is not not normal

I've not had a "normal" trip offshore in a long, long time.  I'd forgotten what they're like and in some sort of twisted alter-reality, I find that I don't like it when I don't have multi-million dollar disasters hanging over my head.  I sort of miss the pressure, damn me for a fool.  I also intensely dislike the paperwork, administration, etc., that I have been able to blow off for so long now.  It all makes you feel like a stuffed suit, dancing for the organ grinder back on the beach.  I am up to my ears in procedures, policies, instructions, lists and reports and it's a little mind-numbing, not to mention borrrr-ring. 

However, it's nice to work less than 18 hr shifts and have the energy and time to work out and sauna.  Today I begin the first round (and last for me-I suk) of the ping-pong tournament.  There's a $100 prize up for grabs, but I suspect that one of the many Asian fellows on here is going to kick the shit out of everybody, unless a certain Frenchman can hold his own.  Me, I'll retire to the sauna and get the results in the morning;)

No comments: