Tuesday, May 27, 2008

And then he smashed his laptop into tiny little pieces and burned them in the ship's incinerator


Yesterday, while working out on the heli-deck, I heard a loud screech from over the side of the ship, then a huge cloud of evil-smelling, black soot rose up from amidships and settled over the bow. Seems we burned up a turbine when one engine inexplicably shut down, or something to that effect. It turned out to be little more than an inconvenience to operations, but provided a few minutes of drama to fend off the boredom that has settled in. It also served to pull me away from my workout long enough that I cooled of too much to continue. That was very fortuitous as today I am so stiff and sore that I can only hobble around like a little old man. Had I put in the extra hour planned, I would not be walking today.
***

From the inordinate amount of star-gazing, as well as researching CRUX, I've developed quite an eye for the southern hemisphere's night sky. I'm probably more familiar with this one now, than my own back home. I've already got the midnight sky memorized and a good idea of how the constellations track, what comes up, or goes down at what times and wish that a telescope was feasible out here.
***

Caught LP on the computer tonight. I saw PW's Googgle chat active and knew it was LP playing games on the computer. I chatted with her a few minutes and convinced her to call me on the phone. It sure was nice to hear her voice and listen to her laugh. We're starting to count the days until I return. I really need to get out of here.
***

Yesterday, I began to make plans for returning to FIRE SCHOOL. I've also got to do a medical exam, first-aid course, helicopter underwater escape training and sea-survival. I'm wondering if there is a way to take PW and LP. I'm sure LP would have a ball at the fire field watching her old man put out some fireballs. PW, might not, though.
***

OK, enough is enough. My cursor (and the letters I type), keep jumping back to where the mouse is left when I began to type. This F$%K!!!!!!! means that I'll be typing along and suddenly find myself back in the middle of a sentence, or paragraph, typing over what I've already done!!!! I'm outta here.

UPDATE: Just for the Fyreman, I've added a picture of me (my helmet anyway) just walking in to put one of the fires they offer up for our enjoyment, at FIRE SCHOOL:) MY god is it fun, there!

5 comments:

Fyremandoug said...

Post the fire school pic ....they are my favorite

Anonymous said...

Sure I would....
PW

Anonymous said...

MP said you're a loser..
Teenagers.hmmmm!!

The Pirate said...

I meant putting out fires ,not getting torched in one...and tell MP, um, something biting and snarky. I don't have a comeback for her.

Fyremandoug said...

Yay Fire..... :)