Sunday, September 21, 2008

Goodbye to Oz

Tomorrow will be my last day in Oz, if everything goes right.  We're nearly done packing shit up and expect to clear customs tomorrow.  We'll sail up out of the Indian Ocean, through Indonesia-probably between Bali and Sumbawa, into the Java Sea.  From there, we'll swing northwest and pass between Sumatra and Borneo, where I once had a run-in with an evil orangutan.  Singapore, an Island nation on the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula, is little more than a very large city.  It's in some ways, very modern and boasts a mix of Asian cultures, foods and people.  For sailors, it's mostly known for a downtown bar complex called "Four Floors of Whores".  I'll spend some time on the northeastern side of the Island, just North of the Singapore City International Airport, in Loyang, the port outside of Changi Village, which is at the entrance to Serangoon Harbor.  Later, We'll move over to the Southwest end of the island, to the Industrial Estate of Jurong, where we'll enter dry dock.

It's going to busy for me, both on the steam up and once we're in port.  Hopefully, I'll get some time to walk into Changi Village, though.  A few years ago, I had one of the best meals of my life at little food stall located in an outdoor pavilion full of food vendors and a little bar.  Eating and drinking for 4 hours cost me just over 10 dollars...

Anyhoo, I'm sick and really should get my ass out on deck, too.  Peace.

No comments: